Friday, April 5, 2013

Gujje Kadle Aajadina / Raw Jackfruit Sukka


Classic Mangalorean dish.......Okay confession.......not my favorite, I always pick out the jackfruit and eat the chickpeas.....I sometimes forget that this is my moms blog too........presenting Gujje Kadle aajadina - Courtesy: MOM


Ingredients
Print this recipe
  • 3 cups Gujje/ Raw jackfruit (chopped)
  • 1 cup Small Black Chickpea
  • 1 onion ,chopped
  • salt to taste
  • 5 dry red chillies (roasted) 3 long red chillies(byadigi) and and 2 small(guntur)
  • 3 tsp coriander seeds (roasted)
  • 1/4 tsp  cumin seeds (roasted)
  • 3 garlic (with skin)
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder
  • 3/4 cup  fresh  grated coconut
  • 2 tsp jaggery (adjust to taste)

For Seasoning
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp urad dal 
  • 3 garlic (crrushed)
  • 5 to 6 curry leaves
  • 1 dry red chilly
Method

  1. Soak chickpeas in water overnight.Cook them with little salt and enough water to cover the chickpeas  in pressure cooker for 4 to 5 whistles (or depending how much whistles your cooker will take to cook them)
  2. Toss in the chopped raw jackfruit into the cooker along with the cooked black chickpeas, add one chopped onion.Add very little water if required,incase it looks dry.Cover and cook for 2 whistles.
  3. Place  roasted red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, garlic and jaggery in a small mixir jar and grind to fine powder. Add coconut and grind for less that 10 seconds (coconut should be coarse). Keep aside.
  4. Place a pan on medium heat , add oil, when oil is hot add mustard seeds, when it starts popping add urad  dal and fry till it turns golden brown. Add crushed garlic, curry leaves and red chilly and stir for few seconds.
  5. Now add the ground coconut masala and fry for a minute or two to remove raw smell.
  6. Add cooked Chickpeas and raw jackfruit and mix well. adjust salt. If its too dry sprinkle little water.Cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Take off the flame.
  7. Serve with rice and Thouthe kodel / Mangalore cucumber curry

7 comments:

  1. Am hearing about this raw jackfruit sukka for the frist time, inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha... and I thought I was the only one who used to pick out the gujje and put it in my moms dish :)
    Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously you don't like raw jackfruit! I love them and this is one of my fav dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The jackfruits sukka is nice and i love it and have shared with my friends who is very keen to cook. Thanks. CLickrecipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this dish...and thank you so much for sharing this recipe as i remember my mum used to do this & i vaguely remember what all does into this dish....i tried this out with my own imagination it was a disaster :(.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog akka! Cooking away to glory. I shall give you full credit

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this recipe and especially your site! I will surely come back more often to go checking new posts ...
    The best recipe ever

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...