Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Nungel Meen Ghassi - Dry Fish Curry


According to mom, this is what she would call 'Comfort Food'....if its raining and cold outside....I know what exactly my mom would say.....'This is the right time to have nungel meen ghassi  or chutney with piping hot ganji'....I have to confess that dry fish was not my favorite(I used to hate it)....but I also believe that with age,taste buds mature....mine did.....but my sister's did not....she refuses to even sit next to this dish... The easiest way to flush my sister outside the house.... just make nungel meen(dry fish) ghassi or chutney.

This is definitely one of those dishes that falls into the 'Acquired taste' category.......you can either hate it or just love it .

Ingredients
Print this recipe

  • 350 grams Dry fish (I have used thate/shark)
  • 1 cup Coconut
  • 7 to 8 roasted Red chilllies 
  • 2 tsp roasted Coriander seeds
  • 1/4tsp roasted Cumin seeds
  • 15 roasted Peppercorns
  • 1/4 tsp roasted Fenugreek seeds (methi)
  • 5 cloves of Garlic (with peel)
  • 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
  • lemon size Tamarind
  • 1 medium Onion- chopped
  • 1 small Tomato - chopped(optional)
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • salt to taste
Method
  1. Soak the dry fish in hot water for 30 minutes to remove excess salt. Remove and cut to desired size.
  2. Grind coconut,red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, fenugreek seeds, garlic. tamarind and turmeric powder to a fine paste using water.
  3. Place a pan on medium heat,add oil when hot add chopped onion and fry till it turns dark brown. now add tomato which is optional and fry for 2 minutes. Add the ground paste and fry for few minutes till the raw smell disappears and oil leaves the sides of the masala. Now add the fish and enough water to get desired consistency (I used 1 cup). Add salt and bring the curry to a boil. take off the flame.
  4. Serve with rice ,preferably with brown rice (roasematta)


9 comments:

  1. Slurp,fingerlicking dry fish curry..

    ReplyDelete
  2. wOW! its also known as 'Sutki machh' in state of west bengal in India and Bangladesh. They loved this preparation.
    This is indeed an Yummy post ! Thanks for sharing.

    You can check this out for more fun-filled cooking facts, recipes, contests, quiz

    relating to food, cooking and fitness etc.

    Visit Here: http://www.facebook.com/borosilandyou

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheriee baayeed neer bathand :) Yum Yum Yum

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi cherie, do u use measuring cups when cooking? If yes, is it the indian standard cup (1cup=200ml) or US cup (1cup=250ml). please reply soon. i would like to try this recipe and many of the others fron ur blog and i want it to be perfect, just like yours.
    thanks,
    shreya jathanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shreya
    I use US standard measuring cups (1 cup 250ml)..I use these cups for all my measuements.really hope you enjoy cooking as much as I do and do let me if you like it and also let me know if you don't :)
    9herie

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank u for the prompt reply dear. wil definetely try it, but after 40 days. coz i dnt eat non veg in the lent season:(
    bt today i am going to try the basale gassi. will let u knw the results
    shreya

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks, i miss my food thank u very much.
    Akshata V. Naik (Shetty)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank u dear, i miss my food thank's a lot

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...