Sunday, September 25, 2011

Bolanjir Ghassi - Silver Fish Curry

If you notice, the base for almost all Mangalorean curries are the same, its just that what is added into the curry which makes all the difference. Bolanjir ghassi/and  yeti ghassi/prawn/shrimp curry has the same curry ..but still there is lot of difference in taste.

I personally am not a big fan of Silver fish, remember having a bad experience long back....Mom used to fry Silver fish and my dad and brother are used to eating the whole fish along with the bones and I tried doing that (I was in that phase of life where....if my brother can do it....so can I)...and I think you can guess what happened after that.......

I still don't eat bolanjir meen/ silver fish ...but I thoroughly enjoy the gravy, and my mom likes bolanjir meen a lot.



Ingredients
Print this recipe
  • 1 kg bolanjir meen / silver fish
  • 2 onions(finely chopped)
  • 2 tomatoes(finely chopped)
  • 2 tsp roasted coriander
  • 1/4 roasted cumin
  • 15 roasted peppercorns
  • 1/4roasted methi
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder
  • tamarind (little bigger than marble)
  • 5 garlic (with skin)
  • 1/2 inch ginger (optional)
  • 1 cup coconut
  • 10 roasted red chilli(long)
  • 5 roasted red chilli (small)
  • salt to taste
  • 3 tbsp oil


Method

  1. Clean bolanjir meen/ Silver fish. Keep aside.
  2. Grind coconut,red chillies,coriander seeds, cumin seeds,peppercorn,methi seeds,tamarind,garlic,ginger and turmeric powder into a very fine and thick paste (add little water)
  3. Place a vessel on medium high flame and add oil,when oil is hot add the chopped onion and fry till onion turns golden brown,now add chopped tomatoes and stir,add salt (its helps in melting the tomatoes).Cook till the tomatoes melt and resembles a puree.
  4. Now add the ground masala and cook till the oil seperates, stir often.
  5. Throw in the cleaned bolanjir meen/silver fish  and stir till well combined.Add 1 cup water or to required consistency and bring the gravy to boil.
  6. Adjust salt and cook till the fish is done.
  7. Serve with rice,dosa or chappati
Here ,in Bangalore..the fish mongers clean any fish you want except bolanjir. Maybe because its very small ans cleaning it consumes a lot of time. I have put up a video of my mom cleaning the fish.

14 comments:

  1. Wow, nice curry & video too Cherie, by the way, i've had the same experience with boothai..every time i eat it, it gets stuck in my throat - gosh!! So now i only fry boothai & make it extra crisp :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not tasted silver fish but this curry is so tempting :)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey just hopped by to see whats cooking here... that looks yum..!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow seriously feel like finishing that wonderful bowl of irresistible fish curry..

    ReplyDelete
  5. does anyone know what bolanjir is called in US? Its definitely not called by silver fish here. I am not able to find it without knowing the name :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried this recipe with Salmon and it came out very good. I dry roasted all spices and coconut before grinding. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi tried this recipe came out great :) am a M'lorean but don't know the traditional recipes thanks to your blog am learning :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your awesome recipe.




    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...