Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Chicken ghee roast

I am so happy that I was able to recreate one of my favorite dish, Chicken ghee roast. The first time I had this amazing dish was when I had been to Mangalore few years back. Hotel Abhiman is very famous for its authentic mangalorean cuisine and Ghee roast is their specialty.

I have tried to search for  good chicken ghee roast in Bangalore, been to Coastal express, Anupama Coast to  Coast, Kudla, Sanadige ..........but never enjoyed ghee roast anywhere. At last found it at Cherie's Kitchen:)
Glad that my family enjoyed it.



 Recipe source:Moyar's

Ingredients
Print this recipe
  • 1 kg chicken (cut to medium pieces)
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 1/2 cup curds/yogurt
  • 1tsp turmeric powder
  • salt to taste
  • 30 long red chillies (kashmir)
  • 8 small red chillies
  • 1 tbsp coriander seeds
  • 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
  • 2 tsp peppercorns
  • 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
  • 12 to 16 garlic flakes
  • cherry size tamarind soaked in 2 tbsp water
  • 1 cup ghee
  • 2 tsp sugar (optional)
  • few curry leaves
  • 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
Method

1. Marinate chicken in yogurt/curds, salt , turmeric powder and lemon juice. Refrigerate for 4 hours or more.
2. Meanwhile roast long and small red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorn and fenugreek seeds and grind along with tamarind and garlic to thick and fine paste.

 3. Place a large pan on medium high flame and add 1/4 cup ghee, when ghee is hot add all the marinated chicken and cook till almost done. Transfer the chicken to a vessel.Reserve the liquid released by the chicken  in the separate bowl . Keep this aside.
4. To the same pan add remaining ghee and add the masala paste ,fry for 5 to 7 minutes till the raw smell disappears and oil leaves the side of the masala.
5. Now add the fried chicken, salt and 1/2 cup of reserved liquid. Fry for 5 to 7 minutes till the masala dries up.
6. Now add sugar, curry leaves and coriander leaves.
7.Take off flame and serve as appetizer.

34 comments:

  1. this looks delicious. nice photography

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Charishma
    This is an awesome recipe !! I use ghee for most of the dishes I cook. The spicing and method is quite well researched. Cant wait to make this one.
    Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm yummy very appetizing..spicy and tempting.. First time to you blog and you have a very lovely space here...following you dear...do visit my space when u find time...http://pran-oriya-recipies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very different roasted chicken and i intend to try it soon.
    Clicked in here from tasty foods and loved you blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a unique recipe! It looks so delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been searching for this recipe..thanks Cheie :) am going to make this tomorrow for dinner..

    kavitha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb recipe.. I tried it out and we loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so yumm..I am glad I bumped into your blog while searching for kori ghassi. Amazing blog. Each of of your recipes look appealing enough to try it. By the way I tried your original kori ghassi it turned out better than what my mom did. Brought back beautiful memories. This recipe is on my next-to-try list. Definitely gonna visit this blog more. Meanwhile please keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi anonymous, thank you...my mom would be so happy to hear this.kori ghassi was made by her...i have yet to perfect the art of kori ghassi...so glad u liked it....do try out ghee roast (I made this one:)....hope u like it...just let me know.happy cooking
    charishma

    ReplyDelete
  10. A big thanks to your mom, my hubby loved it too. Ghee roast is the menu for this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. believe me, this goes very well with Gonkuda Gangasara

    ReplyDelete
  12. anonymous.....gonkuda gangasara......that was the funniest comment ever:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad that a co-bunt suggested your blog to me. I had been desperately looking out for the Ghee Roast Recipe. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey Charishma....I did try this recipe and must tell you that it was simply delicious....got good reviews from elders....so thats for you as well :) - Ramya

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love chicken will try soon!! Yum Yum
    http://youtoocancookindianfood.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  16. By far the most simple and delicious chicken recipe i ever tried out... thanks for posting....we had it with plain daal and rice... it really went well...just loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. By far the most simple and delicious chicken recipe i have tried... it also goes well with simple daal and rice.. loved every bit of it.. Thanks for posting.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Made this on Wednesday. It was so yummy...loved it :) Thanks for the recipe Charishma!

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanks for dis recipe.. colorfull :):)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely ghee roast! Even I loved the one that I had in abhiman for the first time. Well later moving on to blore I always ordered this at coast2cost:)
    Your pics look amazing. I have been making ghee roast in the past but have never added black peppercorns in my recipe. I am making some prawn ghee roast today again so still contemplating if I need to add or skip😌peppercorns.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tried this today.Came out simply wow.Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. can't we make mushroom ghee roast in the same way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Shilpa
      yes you can try this out with mushroom....you can use paneer and prawns too..hope u like it
      charishma

      Delete
  23. Hi there. . Just tried it. And it tastes great except that the quantity of the garlic pods might need to be reduced 5-8 should be good.. the ones we get here in Canada are fairly large sized garlic pods.. thanks once again

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Charishma, I made this yesterday and it turned out really awesome. It was exactly like the one at hotel abhiman. Thanks a lot for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Cherie,
    Planning to try this recipe of yours.Looks Yummy..Was wondering whether i can make this with chicken thighs??Or do i need chicken breast??

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi dear, this dish was awesome. .... just loved it. Can we do this with mutton. ...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Tried the chicken recipe yesterday. It was tasty but fiery hot dish.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awesome.. Came out good and got Kudos from Friend's..
    Thank you Charishma!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Charishma,

    I had been craving for ghee roast for quite sometime. I tried this recipe. The flavours were good but I found the ghee dominate all other flavours. I think the cup I used might be much bigger than yours. Roughly, how much gms/ml does your cup measure. Mine was 250ml.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Really yummy receipe....Will try ds soon..thank u 4d wonderful receipe.

    ReplyDelete
  31. hi dear this is the best recipe .. want to know why we cant access thouthe koddel recipe

    ReplyDelete
  32. I always refer your recipe when preparing ghee roast.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...